Modulation of Brain Activity by tDCS Effects on Human Decision Making
- researcher's name
● The choice of which hand to use when grasping an object in daily life is an unconscious decision.
● If the frequency of use of one hand is continuously increased, it can be applied as an intervention to increase the frequency of use of the paretic hand in stroke patients.
● Transcranial direct current electrical stimulation (tDCS) (Figure 1) can increase or decrease neural activity continuously for several hours.
● The activity of the posterior parietal cortex was changed by tDCS during the task of measuring the frequency of choice for each of left and right hand (Figure 2).
● We found that the use of the left hand was continuously increased after stimulation by suppressing the activity of the left posterior parietal cortex and promoting the activity of the right posterior parietal cortex with tDCS (Figure 3).
● The results of this study show the applicability of the intervention to increase the frequency of use of the paretic hand in hemiparetic stroke patients.
● tDCS can be used as intervention in the unconscious state of human by modulating brain activity.